Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Running the Race of Life


I have been a runner for a long time- almost two-thirds of my life.  In that time I have learned many cognitive skills and spiritual implications of how running is like life.  The Bible has several running/training metaphors:

 "...Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress.  And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us." Hebrews 12:2
Not everyone has the same struggles, strengths, opportunities, obstacles, etc.  We are unique in our talents, gifts and abilities, all of which are God-given.  My race is not your race; it is not the same as my children's, or any one else's.  Consequences (good and bad) for decisions I have made have affected the course I am on.  They make it easier or more difficult.  The importance is to live it with endurance...and to live your own life, not try to duplicate someone else's. 
I find this particulary interesting in comparing the spiritual and physical.  Spiritually, I have envied other people's talents and abilities.  Physically, I try to copy what has worked in training for other people.  Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Stay focused, and never, ever, ever give up!

"I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven." Philippians 3:13-14
Have you ever run a race?  It really doesn't matter the distance, because if you're doing it right then you're giving it all you've got, digging deep to give the rest, and completely relieved when it's over!  It has taken the longer distances to make me so very grateful for a finish line.  I long for it; I countdown to it; I make sure my cheering squad (if I have one) is there waiting for me.  That is how I want my life to be.  I don't want to be afraid of death, but to look forward to being done in order to see my Jesus.  I want to hear Him say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." (Matthew 25:21)

"Even youths will be come exhausted, and young men will give up.  But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength.  They will fly high on wings like eagles.  They will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not faint."  Isaiah 40:30-31
One of my favorite scenes in "Chariots of Fire" is when Eric Liddle reads chapter 40.  Here you go, it just might give you goose bumps!




"Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize.  You also must run in such a way that you will win.  All athletes practice strict self-control.  They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.  So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step.  I am not like a boxer who misses his punches.  I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should.  Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified."
1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Despite what you may or may not have experienced in church, there are no ribbons, medals, trophies or plaques for being a Christian.  I am still called to live a life to try to "win" the race set before me (see the Hebrews notes above)- and I fail miserably all the time.  Am I loving others unconditionally?  Am I standing up for what is right, or keeping quiet?  Am I doing all things for His glory, or trying to get a little for myself too?  I totally get these verses.  Training of the body takes discipline that involves what I eat, how much I sleep, how much of each component I work on.  Training of the soul takes discipline, too.  It takes time to read the Word, praying- praising God, confessing my sins to Him, and make right my relationship with others.  It takes living a spirit-filled life that reflects the fruits of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfullness and self-control.  Like running a race, it takes everything I have in me to try to win..."with purpose in every step."  Don't waste your time off the course.  Don't waste your time living a life loving the world.

This is what I have by my kitchen sink.  I see it multiple times a day.  I think of my friend Meredith who gave it to me, and I remember the calling the Lord has given to all who believe. ("Run in such a way as to get the prize" 1 Cor. 9:24)
 This scene from "Chariots of Fire" sums up how Life is Like Running a Race to me (the part of him speaking to the crowd in the rain):



No comments:

Post a Comment