Monday, July 9, 2012

Recipe: Vegan IronMan Cookies

These are my new favorite go-to food!  They work great to eat before long training sessions and to take on long rides.  I add a few tablespoons of chia seeds, a natural source for antioxidants, electrolytes and an anti-inflammatory.  I'm not a vegan, just wanted something that didn't have butter in it.

Vegan Iron Man Cookies
(Makes about 45 cookies with my scoop)

3/4 cup peanut butter
1 banana- smashed
1 cup brown sugar (if being vegan doesn't matter to you can do 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup honey)
2/3 cup soy milk (I always use regular cow's milk)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1/4 cup slivered almonds-toasted (optional- I've never put them in)
1/2 cup dried fruit (I use blueberries)
*I also add 1/2 cup chocolate chips.  They melt when I take them on rides, but it just makes them taste like they're fresh out of the oven, and I enjoy that.  Do what you like!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In Large mixing bowl combine peanut butter, banana, brown sugar, soy milk, and vanilla extract.  Ina separate bow mix together cinnamon, baking soda, flour, salt, and oats.  Add the dry mixture to the wet and flax seeds, almonds, and cherries.  When well combined, spoon heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, leaving some space in between.  Bake about 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment