Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week in Review 2/26 - 3/3

Sunday-
Fast 20 miles on the bike.  I was trying to do 20 miles in an hour until I turned around to do the last 10 miles.  Then I discovered why I thought I could do 20mph...I had the wind at my back!  Once I turned around my average went down a bit, leaving me with a 18.5mph average pace for 20 miles.  Oh well, I'll try again in a couple of weeks!

Monday-
  • Run:  Track workout in the early a.m. with Pat.  Warm-up, about 1 1/2 miles, then 2x1200m w/ 2 minute rest; 4x800m w/2 minute rest;  Cool down, about 1 1/4 mile.
  • Swim:  Did I say I was feeling good on the last swim post?  I should really learn.  If there were such a thing as "jinxing" oneself, then I did it.  I went feeling fine, really rather being bundled in a warm blanket on my bed, reading a book.  But I knew I would feel better afterwards if I just went and swam.  After my warm-up the coach said he wanted to tweek my form.  I wasn't twisting my hips enough.  After getting instructions, I headed out, feeling like an epileptic eel wriggling down the pool lane.  After a few 50 meter intervals, I was feeling more confident in the technique, but not very fast.  So I sped up.  Coach caught me, and reminded me what I was supposed to do, even if it slowed me down.  Boo.  So, I kept at my twisting and shouting for as many 50 meters as I could muster.  Finally the clock turn to 8:20 and I decided I had had enough.  I'll do better intervals on Wednesday.

Tuesday-
  • P90x Core Workout
  • 30 minutes riding on the trainer.  I successfully tipped my bike over while trying to unclip when I was done.  The bike fell off the trainer, with my feet still secured in the pedals.  Fortunately my couch broke my fall.  No injuries to me, bike or trainer were sustained!
  • Evening training with TNT: Warm-up about a mile, six hill repeats, a mile cool-down.
Wednesday-
Short run (4 miles) at a pace that was slower than the schedule said to go.  But I was tired.  So there.
[Skipped swim]

Thursday-
Complete day off

Friday-
Early morning 10 mile run with Pat.  Felt great!

Saturday-
First Brick workout with Team in Training!  I LOVE BRICKS!  A brick is combining two or more elements of the triathlon into one session.  We did an 8 mile ride; changed into running shoes, etc. for a 2 mile run; 12 mile ride.  Not much in miles, but we were flying for the run and the second ride!

That isn't much, but this was an "off" week for me.  Most experts who have written about training have written about a 3 week on, 1 week off routine.  You still train that fourth week, it's just at a lower intensity.  This helps ward off injuries, burn-out, fatigue, and other adverse conditions.  I'll be ready to rock the next three weeks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment