Sunday, March 4, 2012

"It's Only _______...."

Tempe Arizona, November 2011:  Jason, Pat and I are touring the course, talking training, expectations, etc.  We were trying to figure out a training plan.  And then our reoccurring phrase began: "It's only November."  Once it was the month of December, Pat and I were meeting at least once a week to do a long ride together.  We'd run through how our individual training was going.  We weren't into high miles yet because, "It's only December."  

Before you know it, we're saying "January" then "February", and now..."March".  Woah!  It's crazy to think that the Arizona trip was almost four months ago!  At the time we signed up, we had 360 days until our race.  I figured out how to put the countdown widget here on the blog, and it's been frightening how the numbers keep getting lower and lower.  I remember when it got below 300 days and I wondered, what just happened to the last 60 days?

Well, our "It's only ______" has continued.  It's quite the inside joke now, so I thought I'd let you in on it.  When we want to make ourselves feel better about the lack of volume there is in our training still, that is what you'll hear us say.  It's a very convenient saying, since it is both an excuse and a reason.  Let me explain.  I am not lazy.  I am taking this Ironman training stuff very seriously.  However, I am also mindful of the very most basic and important things in my life as well. 

I have responsibilities in my daily life in the form of human beings.  They are reasons.  I have a husband who doesn't like to be ignored or treated like a babysitter to his children.  He is a reason.  I have an innate need for friendships and fellowship.  My body needs proper fueling, rest and recovery (and the occassional ice pack).   

It's called LIFE and we should all have one.  I highly recommend it.  So, here's to the months to come and to the end of the "It's only _____".  Because official training (aka, the training manual we downloaded and made into a nifty 70 page spiral-bound notebook) begins Sunday, March 18th. 

The Ironbirds are about to get kicked out the nest and expected to start flying.

258 days and counting...

1 comment:

  1. So true! I keep doing the same thing and time is just flying by...

    ReplyDelete