Friday, March 9, 2012

Recipes: Cookies & Energy Bars

In case you don't know, I love to bake!  I like to cook too, but there is just something about making something thought to be a delicacy, comfort, or treat that makes the process of making it from scratch all that more enjoyable!

Here are a couple of my most recent discoveries (via Pinterest!).  My comments about the recipes follow in red:

Marty’s Triathlon Cookies II
(makes approximately 30 cookies)
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 3/4 dark brown sugar
  • 1 large (59g) egg
  • 1 2/3 cup whole meal spelt flour
  • ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), sifted
  • ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 2/3 cup rolled spelt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (see note)
  • 2/3 cup dried blueberries
  • 2/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped candied peel
  • 1/2 cup blanched roasted hazelnuts, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Notes:
  •  Any combination of fruit and nuts can be substituted for the ones listed above.
  • Dan Lepard’s original recipe used rolled oats and whole meal wheat flour, so either could be substituted if you can’t find spelt.
  • If I’m baking these cookies for our own consumption, I use 70% dark chocolate, but if I’m baking them for Marty, I use Callebaut baking sticks (44% cacao), broken up into pieces. The latter keep their shape when baked, and are much less likely to melt in the heat of competition.
1. Preheat oven to 350º to 375º with fan.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sifted bicarbonate of soda, and salt.  Add the rolled spelt, chocolate, hazelnuts and dried fruit, and stir to combine.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until combined, then beat in the egg and vanilla.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
3. Roll the dough into 4cm balls, and place them on a parchment lined baking tray.  Flatten each cookie slightly and bake for  15 – 20 minutes. I find that 20 minutes gives a harder, chewier cookie which is how Marty prefers them.
4. Allow to cool on a wire rack.  These cookies will keep for quite a while in an airtight container, or they can be sealed in thick plastic bags and frozen until needed

I have no idea who Marty is, but he sure has a nice friend to bake him up some cookies!  This recipe was from a country who uses the metric system, so I had to convert the measurements.  When I made them I used rolled oats in place of the whole meal wheat flour, and did not add the candied peel.  I couldn't find either without having to drive across town to Whole Foods, though I think I maybe making a trip there anyway.  Next time I make these I would like to swap the butter for applesauce and the egg for egg whites.  These were super yummy, kept their shape, and were easy to bring in my bento box on my bike.

Lemon Date Energy Bars

(makes 8-16 depending how how small you cut them!)
  • 1 1lb. pitted dates
  • 1 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup cashews
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest of 1 lemon)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon oil extract
In a food processor mix pitted dates, almonds, cashews & lemon zest until a thick paste forms. Add in the lemon juice & lemon oil extract and pulse a few times to combine. (If you want a few bigger chunks of nuts in your bars, pulse the nuts first and set some aside. Then incorporate the chunks into the final mixture)
Take the the bar mixture and press into a parchment lined 8- inch brownie pan, cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Cut the bars into smaller rectangles (or any size you prefer). Wrap them up in plastic wrap. Foil is kinda tricky- it sticks to the bar too much. Keep the bars covered, in the fridge for up to a week.

Umm...WOW!  These are super delicious.  I've always been a fan of lemony foods.  I have to remember that these are high in calories, or I'd eat the whole pan!  Doing the type of training I'm doing though, my body needs nutritious calories like these provide.  I used all almonds, and next time I will add a bit more zest or extract to intensify the lemon flavor!

 

Raw Chocolate Chia Walnut Energy Bars

 Makes 10 bars
Prep time: 15 minutes
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups pitted dates (Warning:  pinch each date carefully to be sure the pit has been removed!  An errant pit will stop your food processor cold!)
  • 1/3 cup raw usweetened (& undutched) cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup whole chia seeds, such as Salba (use the white ones--it looks prettier)
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla extract, optional
  • 1 cup raw walnut pieces
  • Oat flour for dusting
Preparation
1.  Place dates in bowl of food processor; puree until thick paste forms.  If the dates are on the dry side, you may need to add small amounts of warm water to moisten them up--and make it easier to mix in the other ingredients.  But, be careful to do this slowly, and not overdo it.
2.  Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, and vanilla, if using.  Pulse until all ingredients are combined.
3. Add walnuts; pulse until nuts are finely chopped and well distributed through date mixture.
4. Spread large sheet of wax paper on work surface, and dust with oat flour, if using
5.  Transfer date mixture to wax paper, and press mixture into 1/2 inch thick rectangle.  Wrap tightly with the waxed paper, and then with foil.  Chill overnight.
6.  Unwrap block, and cut into 10 bars.  Dust edges and sides with oat flour, if using, to prevent sticking.  Wrap each bar in waxed paper & store in the refrigerator.

 My kids LOVE these!  I have to be careful or else they will eat the whole pan!  I was unable to find chia seeds at the Winco on my side of town.  So, looks like I'll "get" to make a trip to Whole Foods after all!  Chia seeds are really good for you, so I wouldn't mind having a sack of them to sprinkle here and there on other foods.  I replaced them with ground flax meal, and used almonds in place of walnuts.  I can't eat walnuts because they make my mouth hurt!  The last time I made these I used almond butter and the kids loved them even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment