Saturday, February 25, 2012

Week in Review 2/19 - 25

Sunday- 45 mile ride with friends.  We went all over the place: to Sheri's, back down, parted ways with a couple friends; Pat and I went farther to build up mileage.  I made us stop around mile 30 so I could eat something.  The last 15 were smooth and breezy and chatty.  Fortunately there wasn't much traffic so we could carry on our conversation.  Pat's total was 50 miles, made more impressive because of his performance at our track workout the next day.

 
Monday-
  • Track workout with Pat: 3 x 1600m (plus the mile warm-up and mile cool-down); we took a 400m walk as recovery.  Last week we decided we would try to run a sub-six-minute mile the next time we had mile repeats on the schedule.  Silly me didn't look at the schedule before making that arrangement!  I'm sure if we didn't do a long ride the day before, our legs could have done it.  Instead we pulled out a brave 6:08, and then decided to follow the schedule's prescribed pace and did the next two in 6:26.  Ok, I should say that I did the next two in 6:26.  Pat did them faster. 
  • Swim- Better than last Wednesday, but I couldn't muster up the "thanks, but no thanks".  Coach Rich was back and super helpful.  He only had a few of us from the Tri group; the other half the pool was full of beginner swimmers from another training group.  I must admit, watching them made me feel a little better about my form.  Coach still wanted to tweek my form, so I did several side-kick drills (shark fin, without the rotation), and shorter distance speed work.  Those were a hoot-and-a-half!  I love to really pull the water and "dig deep".  But I did enough of that for one day!

 
Tuesday-
Active recovery day, I did the X Stretch from P90X.  I had never done this before, and wasn't too sure about stretching for an hour!  But I was very relieved to enjoy it the entire time.  Not only that, but I felt like Gumby afterwards!
In the evening was Team in Training drill work.  Only one participant showed up, so she got some one-on-one coaching.  I made her cry...a little bit.  Well, I didn't make her cry, the exercises I had her do aggravated her ligaments.  She's so sweet, I felt bad.  But she's getting better and better and so dedicated to her training!  We did a mile warm-up, drills: 3x High Knees, 3x Butt Kicks, 3x Pole Vault jumps; then a mile cool down.  I also popped a couple leg lifts, push ups and arm dips in there just for fun.  At least, I think she had fun....

 
Wednesday-
Run:
A great 10km at 7:30/mile average pace.  It was great!  The weather has been so nice for the entire winter.  Great for training, not good for the annual rainfall needed!
Swimming:
I actually got a "You're doing a good job" from the coach tonight!  Progress!
Warm-up: 150m
20 x 25m- Gradual build-up
15 x 50m- Odds increase; Evens recover; #s 6, 12 and 14 fastest.
3 x 75m- Every other lap was sprint/medium recovery
I didn't get a cool-down.  I had to help pull the cover over the lane I was in with 7 minutes left of practice time!  I guess coach was in a hurry to get home.

Thursday-
Complete day off.  This was a little mentally tough to do.  I kept thinking I needed to do something...get ready to do something...did I already do something and forget?  No, I needed a day off.  It will be good practice for when I need to taper.  But it did make me conscious of the fact that this training stuff may in fact becoming a regular routine!

Friday-
EARLY 11 mile run with Pat.  Armed with a flashlight, we hit the roads around the neighborhood and chatted almost the entire way.  It made for a quick run!  Each time my Garmin would beep another mile alert, I was surprised we already finished a mile.  We didn't break any records, just had a 8:26 mile pace for the entire run.  However, our strongest miles were the last ones!

Saturday-
Team in training ride at Friant, hill repeats.  Not much in mileage, but made up for it in intensity!  I planned on riding again in the afternoon.  But when Pat cancelled due to illness, I didn't mind.  I could tell I had come to the statute of limitations of training with my family.  When you hear, "You're training, AGAIN?!" more than a couple times, I knew they needed a break.  Besides, it's only February.

No comments:

Post a Comment