Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Week in Review 2/5 - 2/11

Sunday-
Met with some TNT friends and rode 20 miles with them, then continued on home another 20 miles.  I should have arranged that better and had company on the last 20, not first.  All-in-all though, it was a good ride.


Monday-
  • An early morning track workout is a great way to start the day, right?  Ran to the high school track (about 1.25 miles) for warm-up; then a downhill ladder: 1200m, 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m, 200m with a 200m rest interval between each.  I didn't hit my pace on the 1200 or 1000, but nailed it on the final ones.  It felt good, I was definitely pushing passed my comfort zone.  The legs felt a little tired from the ride the day before!
  • Evening swim practice.  I threw down the "because you doubt I can" card on the coach on this one.  Which, in hindsight was dumb, but I proved to myself - and hopefully to him - to not underestimate this girl.  I somehow drove myself home, where my vision became blurry, telling me I did too much.
Tuesday-
I gave myself the day off due to the scary late-night vision thing the night before.  I fed my body nutritious food all day and did some research on training do's and don'ts.  That evening was the TNT Nutrition Clinic and information was refreshed that I knew.  Mainly, don't try to do a hard track workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.  Each an orange, or some grapes, something!  I think the track workout from yesterday set me up for the swim exhaustion I experienced in the evening.


Wednesday-
Ran my interval run with a friend for most of it; I couldn't hit my pace for 4 of the 5 miles.  My legs are still recovering from my prideful exploit on Monday.  Ok body, I got it now!  Can we please move on?! (Yes, I talk to myself)
I skipped swim at night; my daughter was whining that I was "never home" to tuck her in anymore...OUCH!  That wasn't true; I had just missed the previous two nights.  I suppose to a six-year-old that is the same thing as forever!


Thursday-
One hour of  riding on the trainer a pity party.  Yeah, you read that right.  I went to put my bike on the trainer and noticed I had a flat- my first since September!  No problem, I thought.  My amazing brother has provided 15 spare tubes for me.  I went to put it on and low-and-behold...they are ALL too small (650 instead of 700).  Such a newbie mistake!!  I couldn't believe it.  Not to be deterred, I tried to use one anyway.  I really needed to ride!  I stretched that tube on the rim, checked to make sure it wasn't pinched in the tire, but couldn't really tell.  I pumped it up all the way, then tried to put the bike on the trainer.  Out of the corner I saw the explosion that made my ears ring for the next couple hours!  The tube had blown a hole about 6 inches long, and blew the tire off the rim!  My kid-free morning time was out and I only had time to take a quick shower before picking them up from school.  Woops... hence the pity party.


Friday-
An excellent 9.3 mile run at an average of 7:45/mile pace.  I was stoked!  But of course, I had some time to get my legs fresh again.  So while I was ecstatic at the accomplishment, I knew it was because I had slacked off on missing a swim and a couple of rides that week.  However, at least I'm staying up with the running element.  AND THERE IS NO PAIN IN MY FOOT!!  Thank you, Jesus!


Saturday-
Kenny's big 4-0 day, and so I didn't go to TNT training in the morning.  Ken and I attempted to go on a 4 mile run together, but a couple of miles into it, he had to walk.  But it was still nice to be together.  Hopefully he'll get more time in running and be ready for his own races later this year (he is hoping to do the Two Cities Marathon on November 4th).


So, there you have it.  A little heart, a little love, a lot of trying to balance family and training!

No comments:

Post a Comment