Thursday, January 5, 2012

Training Update (Ok, more like Confessional)

It's...happening...again!  I make such illustrious plans- Ieven try to fit in some "what-ifs" and "just-in-cases" into the training forecast.  I can't even blame the weather- it's been beautiful!  It's life; it's the little things that add up to a lot.  Today's excuse was getting my hair cut and eyebrows done.  But then again, I hadn't had my hair cut since last May, and I needed it.  I have this little window of time every day when the kids are at school to do all of those things that I would not normally do with them around.  There is this whole world that has opened up for me in the realm of grocery shopping without children.  It is FABULOUS! 

 
Ok, so back to the confessional.  I haven't posted my training log in awhile because there hasn't been much to report.  I left off on December 17th.

December 18-24:  Between my daughter's sleepover and a scheduled group date night, I missed swim all week.  I never made it to cycling on the trainer, and I only ran twice.  One was a fun one on the track with a friend.  I was honestly busy getting ready for Christmas, and in the kitchen most of the time (so I wouldn't be on Christmas day).

December 25-31:  Double or Nothing week...kind of!
  • Sunday- Nope, sorry, nothing on Christmas.  I loved every minute of the day with my family!
  • Monday- Run in morning; Swim at night.  I just did my own swim workout.
  • Tuesday- Rest (aka "nothing").  I meant to ride on the trainer, but never got to it.
  • Wednesday- 45 mile ride with Pat.  My first time to Humphrey Station, and my longest ride to date!  Swim practice that night; the coach worked with me on my stroke and kick.  By the end I was feeling very confident and he said I "had it down"!
  • Thursday- 8 mile run with Pat.  Wholly Guacamole!  I was thinking a nice, comfortable pace, but no!  We did all 8 miles under 8 miles; our last mile was even 7:20!  I had a reminder that training does and will again hurt!  But it was so great and felt like such an accomplishment!
  • Friday- Rest.
  • Saturday- 3.5 mile run in Chico around my parents' house.

When this week is done I will have to confess some more.  I missed both swim nights this week, but only one was my fault.  The coach was a no-show on Monday.  :/  I have been able to get a run and a ride in so far; today was suppossed to be a ride day again...see the first paragraph for that excuse.  Ok, I guess you just got the confession!

Tomorrow will be a 10 mile run with Pat.  I am really looking forward to it, and a little nervous, too.  I haven't run that distance since training for a marathon in November, 2010. 

The reason why I haven't run much distance in over a year?  Let's see if I get the saying right: "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."  I have had pain in my right foot since the fall of 2009, and it gets worse with more frequent use and higher mileage.  I have gone to two different Orthopedic doctors, twice had it x-rayed, and even had blood tests (to rule out arthritis and gout).  All came back negative, and they don't know what's wrong without a more thorough scan done.  So, this Monday, I am again headed to a doctor with great hopes that there will be some sort of diagnosis and resolution.  I was given the reference to a friend's Orthopedic doctor, and even heard he is one of the best in the Valley.  Before I was not willing to have an MRI done because of the cost.  I am willing now.

I need my foot to be "normal."  Since it has hurt I have restricted myself to fewer runs.  Instead of getting to go out when I am able, I have a pretty set routine of three times a week.  Any more than that, and my foot hurts even more than normal.  I noticed that I run heavier on my right side; my right knee is the one that aches a bit as well.  It's almost as though I run with my right leg, and the left just follows along.  I have tried to reteach myself how to run with both legs, leading with my left leg as much as possible.  I know, that sounds wierd!

So, here's hoping for a great end of another week.  311 days to IMAZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment