Monday, January 16, 2012

Training Update 1/1 - 1/14

I really should do this more often!

Ok, I don't have particulars for these two weeks, sorry!  I am not writing any of this down anywhere else right now.  I have to look up in my Garmin to see what I've been doing, but even at that it doesn't record my swims or rides on the trainer.  So here goes my best guess:

I skipped a week of swimming, but only one of the two was my fault.  The coach didn't show up on Monday, and then Wednesday I had to do CPR/First Aid certification for Team in Training coaching I'm doing this spring.  Last week I made both swim nights, and improved a lot!  In my last 100 meter intervals on Wednesday I finally felt like I wasn't going to burst my brain by concentrating on all the mechanical particulars!

Cycling is going really great.  I feel a lot stronger already!  I have had the great fortune of not getting as many flats as my training buddy (he's 3 for 5!).  I know they will happen, so I'm going to enjoy this lull in flats while I'm having it.  I get on the trainer at least twice a week.  One of the training articles I've read is that riding on the trainer for an hour is more efficient than an hour out on the road.  This is due to a lack of having to deal with traffic, lights and signs.  There is no coasting, just constant pedaling!  A couple of weeks ago I rode 45 miles, which is my current record distance!  I can't wait to laugh at myself in the months to come when that distance stretches out farther and farther.  By May it will be 100!

Running...oh how I love it!  It is a passion of mine, and near and dear to my heart.  It doesn't always feel good doing it (like going 8 miles the day after riding 45 miles...at a constant pace of under 8 minute miles each of the 8 miles!).  But the confidence is growing and so is the training!  Pat and I did that 8 mile run together, then did a 10 mile run the next week.  I think we both have the gift of exhortation, because we do a good job of convincing ourselves "we can do it!".  It's been nice to have a buddy!  I also run with another friend who is trying to get back into running shape, and another who will do a half ironman distance triathlon with me in July.  I look forward to doing long rides and runs with others as the months progress!

Well, there you go.  Sorry I am not more disclosing on particulars...I would if I could remember!  Don't worry, I will have a notebook with my official training schedule once that starts in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment