Monday, January 16, 2012

A Foot and A Heart

Last time I wrote about my foot having hurt for some time, and I was going to get it looked at.  Last Monday I did the usual office visit, complete with xrays and examination.  This time the Dr. gave me a prescription for an orthotic.  He also said this should make it less painful, and that I can train as planned.  He even wished me luck on the Ironman!  Oh, Happy Day!!!  This Wednesday I go to get fitted for my orthotic. 

I recently confessed to my training buddy that I have had a cold, dry spell spiritually.  It was terrible to hear myself saying those words!  I have been blundering through each day for many months now.  It has felt like winter in my soul for far too long.  There have been questions, frustrations, doubts and...more frustrations.  It didn't happen overnight, but has been a slow progression of neglect of nourishing my soul on my part. 

It is my opinion and experience that athletes will understand 2 Timothy 4:2 (as well as other scripture using a racing language) better than anyone. "Be ready in season and out of season...."  The Apostle Paul is writing to his young apprentice, Timothy, as he is training to take Paul's place.  "Be ready..." 

Am I ready?  No.  I feel like I am at the starting line and have no training done to get me through the race in front of me.  It would be like being told I have to do the Ironman this weekend.  Ah!  I have some in the tank, but nowhere what is required!  So it is with the health of my soul.  I rely on past experience and knowledge to get me through.  This isn't the first time it's happened, but it seems like it's been a long time since the last time I've been at this place.

Well, it is no longer winter in my heart.  Spring has sprung!  New life is rushing through each pounding pulse it takes. 

Today I spent a couple of hours in the car by myself and had my own little worship service.  I had to be careful not to cry too much so I could still drive safely.  I wanted to fall on my knees and lift up my arms to my heavenly Father, my Lord and my Holy God!  Life worth living begins and ends with Him alone.

One of my favorite hymns is "Tis So Sweet (to Trust in Jesus)".  I have loved it for many reasons, but mainly for the simple verbalization of His preciousness.  This is the second verse with the chorus:

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus
Just to take Him at His Word
Just to rest upon His promise
Just to know, "Thus Sayeth the Lord"

Jesus, Jesus, How I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er
Jesus, Jesus, Precious Jesus
Oh for grace, to trust Him more!

Amen, and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment