Friday, January 27, 2012

Feeling old

This morning I attempted to run 9 miles at a 7:45 minute/mile pace.  I knew it was going to difficult, but wanted to try it out anyway. 

I am just starting a half-marathon training program, one that is by the same institution that did the marathon training program I did when I qualified for Boston in 2010 (I didn't go to Boston, but I still qualified!).  Last Friday I did a little track workout, and while I was running home my right calf felt like it had a cramp.  It was painful and inconvenient, but I figured it would just go away.  Well, it hasn't.  In fact, as of this morning, it's worse. 

I was 5.5 miles into my run, struggling to keep under 8 minute mile pace.  I needed to cross the street and there was a car coming, so I picked up my speed to get across faster.  That did it.  Suddenly my calf seized in pain!  I stopped, pushed "stop" on my Garmin (wouldn't want this to affect my average pace! ;) ), and tried to rub it out.  Nope, not doing any good.  Great!  Here I've been worried about my foot and my knees giving me problems, and it's my CALF?  Grrrrr.....

Limping home, I walked, then jogged just so I could get there faster.  It had been a drizzly morning and I was wet.  Now that I had slowed down, I was getting cold.  And I wondered and worried how this was going to affect training.  Ironically, for the passed week that my calf was a little sore, my foot had NO pain at all.  I couldn't believe it!  It still isn't giving me a problem; just my CALF!  What in the world?!

Yes, I'm frustrated.  I suppose I need to back off and let some healing take place.  Running is supposed to be my strength, and it's the element that keeps getting me injured.  Cycling is going well, although I need to get my bike tuned up.  But there are so many things on our family's "to do" list that need to take priority.  Riding on the trainer isn't as hard on the mechanics as the elements of the outdoors.  It doesn't get as dirty which is a primary issue in bike maintenance. 

Don't worry, I'll continue to press on, and persevere.  I'll look back later on in the year and laugh at myself. Might as well start now.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment