Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Week in Review 10/29 - 11/4

Monday:
Swim- As I stated before, we have a new coach.  We're still working out some kinks.  Like, don't make me try to learn new drills two weeks before a 2.4 mile swim.  Please.
I started doing a few 75 meter's worth of drill/swim/drill, but only did two.  Then I just started swimming until it looked like everyone else was done.  Then Lacey had us do 2 x 15 minute swim.  The first was supposed to be relaxed and steady effort, the second a decline (where you gradually get faster).  It was fun, I didn't lose count, and managed to squeek out some speedy 100's at the end.  I like to finish faster than I start.  It's how I learned to race over 17 years ago, and it just kind of stuck! After practice Jennifer and I got to know Lacey a little bit better.  She's done a sprint triathlon, which automatically made us want to encourage her to do more.  She's new to cycling, and can hopefully do some rides with us this winter.  Yay!  New friend!
Total meters: 2000 (I know, I know...)

Tuesday:
Run- The legs felt a bit tired from Sunday's 20-miler, but it was a great morning and so nice to run! 
Warm-up: 17 minutes; 2 x 18 minutes @ 75% with 4 minute rest after each; 10 minute cool down
Total miles: 7.75
Bike- The manual had a one hour interval workout, but I decided to give my legs a little break and just ride.  I experimented with different ways to hold/relax/move my shoulders so my neck wouldn't hurt.  I think I found the solution, but will have to try it out on the longer ride planned for Friday.  Also to try...Sumer's aero helmet!

Wednesday:
Bike: Warm up; 2 x 30 minutes @75%/6 minutes @ 60%; Cool down.  About 25 miles total.  I got to try out Sumer's aero helmet for the first time.  I kept checking my shadow to see if I lookes as cool as I felt. ;)
Swim:  Skipped to be with the Fam-Bam.  Our church has a carnival on Halloween, so we had dinner there and played away!

Thursday:
Run:  Track workout!  Warm-up; 4 x 1600m with 400m walk in between; Cool down.  Our mile's started at 6:55, then worked down to a final 6:34.    We were suppossed to do the first 1200 at a "fast first part marathon pace" which had us a bit confused.  We tried to keep it at a seven minute pace for the first three laps, then push it on the last lap.  They were fun!
Total miles: 7.25

Friday:
The plan says to do a triple on Saturday.  Pat and I are tweeking it a bit so we can have a good half marathon on Sunday.  It won't be the same, but the time and miles still count. 
Run:  We decided to run first to try to wait out the fog.  It was a cold, damp morning and we felt it would be dangerous to rush out and ride first.  We ran about 3 miles, when I had a pain on my back that wouldn't let me breathe well.  We turned in the running shoes for bike gear.
Bike: We ended up with a solid 4 hour ride.  The first half hour was a sprint to my house to get my son's swimming stuff so he could participate in a swim lesson his class has.  After that Pat and I cruised the roads, putting in the time and fueling.

Saturday:
Rest day for the half marathon race tomorrow. :)

Sunday:
The Two Cities race is one of my most favorite events.  I know, I mentioned it before.  Just making sure you remembered.
Pat signed us up for the "Fresno half" instead of the new "Clovis half".  At first I was a little bummed.  The Fresno course is the original half marathon course.  There is a hill on that one that everyone dreads.  It turned out to be such a smart choice!  The Clovis course was crowded and more narrow than the Fresno one.  And the hill?  What hill! 
Steve didn't sign up for the race, but came to support us along the way.  He ran with me for several miles and helped me push the pace.  I was going to try to start at eight-minute pace and then go faster, but ended up averaging a 7:36/mile pace overall.  It felt great and was a much better experience than the Classic half marathon in May!  Oh...one more thing.  Pat beat me.  AGAIN. 
Pat and I before the race

 


My IMAZ buddies and I after the race


No comments:

Post a Comment