Sunday, June 24, 2012

Week in Review 6/17 - 6/24

Hey...I'm back!  It's been awhile since the last weekly update, and this has been a good week to give an update for.  From now on they will be Monday to Sunday instead of the previous Sunday to Saturday.  Pat and I are sticking closely to the official training manual now, and it goes Monday to Sunday.  Just this week I'll include Sunday, June 17th.  For old times' sake.

Two things I keep in the back of my mind while going by the manual:
(1) The goal is in November.  Not now, not next month.  I will have races between now and then that I will want to do well in but probably won't as much as if they were my focal event.  The manual is for the signature event in November.
(2) I have a half-distance triathlon in less than 5 weeks.  So guess what? I am going to tweek the manual.  Not because I'm a careless renegade or anything, but because 70.3 miles is a long way to be uncomfortable and ill-prepared.  My focus is still in November...I'm just going to bike and run farther than I'm told.  And I'm going to throw in some hills, too.

Sunday- 10 mile run.  I have forgotten what it is like to run in heat.  I decided to run in the morning because the forecast predicted 106 degrees as a high.  Turned out to be 108.  It was already hot and balmy when I started running at 6am.  I was doing a good pace for the first 6 miles, and then the heat and lack of preparation (i.e. proper fueling...when am I going to learn?) got to me.  I "limped" the last 4 miles home, dizzy, hot, and not sweating as much as I should. 

Monday- The manual called for only a 1 hour swim, so that's what I did.  I finally returned to the swim practice and was harshly brought back to my swimming reality: "Use it, or lose it."  That's right, folks.  Kerry Sue is not a great swimmer, and missing two weeks just makes it all the more complicated.  But I did it, was glad I went, and can't wait for next time.

Tuesday- Morning: Easy 10K run with Pat.  Evening: One hour ride in north Fresno, just flat and fast.

Wednesday- Almost didn't think I'd make a ride fit in this day, but I was able to ride (the long way) to swim practice and have Ken pick me up.  It was a lovely double-duty!  Which made swimming feel all the much better from the quick ride (I wasn't sure I allowed enough time for the distance I planned.  It ended up being perfect).

Thursday- Track workout morning.  Matt H. and Nabil joined Pat and I for some mile repeats.  Pat once again was able to pull a sub-6 minute mile, coming in at 5:47.  That was too fast for me, and I poked in at 6:01, just missing the goal for under six minutes.  Boo hoo.  My legs felt tired though, and I was really glad when the three repeats were over!

Friday- Day off.  Really- the manual said so!

Saturday-  Oh my goodness.  I am going to LOVE regular, challenging Saturday rides!  I arranged to ride with Jennifer, the friend I made from swim practice.  She is such a gem and a blessing!  She's a wife, mom, Christian, cyclist and now triathlete.  Really?  It's like getting a gift straight from God.  She's sweet, fun, encouraging and ready to bring out the inner beast on trainings.  She's a keeper!
We rode to Humphrey's from her house, a 45 mile ride.  It was nice and easy, but super fun and enjoyable.  We ran just over 2 miles when we got back, just to get a bit of a brick in. 

Sunday- 15 mile run at 8:02/mile average pace.  Felt great, lovely (and cool!) morning.  The secret?  Waking up at 3am to eat a stack of pancakes that was leftover from Saturday's breakfast!  I went back to sleep for a couple hours and was ready to go at 5am.  My knees are a little sore, but I iced them right away when I got back, and will again this evening.

Great week, great to be back! Woo!

Week's totals: (This is kind of cheating since there are 8 days in this review.  Oh, well!)
Swimming: 4300m
Cycling: 81 miles
Running: 36 miles

1 comment:

  1. Haha. I'm picturing you eating leftover pancakes in the dark at 3am. Total Ironman-in-training move!

    ReplyDelete