Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Why?

 

The simple answer?  Because I can.  Maybe that sounds too simple to you, but from where I come from it means everything.  My reality is to be the only one (of my siblings and I) who can physically do an Ironman.  One brother died at the age of 26.  My other brother was diagnosed with a disease at the age of 22, limiting his vigor for physical activity.  I am healthy, I am alive, I have been blessed with a body that functions normally without the assistance of medication.  That, to me, trumps all other reasons.  But don't worry, I have more.

I am a mother of five children.  I am quite certain I have made up for the lack of use of painkillers during their childbirth in the day-to-day life of what it takes to make it through each day sane.  Just kidding...kind of.  But really, I am a mother, a stay-at-home mom, homemaker, domestic engineer.  Call it what you will.  Ken and I have had to intentionally put any career aspirations I may have had on hold or off completely to do the job that God has given and called us to do.  I am completely and totally convinced that I am doing the right thing, and do not regret having my kids and being the sole provider of their care.  I do, however, struggle with self-worth.  What am I? "Just a mom".  I don't have any great title, I sure don't bring in a pay check (the kind banks accept as legal tender currency, anyway.), and it's not a glamorous life.  Two things have saved me from really, really losing it: One, competing (running and now, triathlons).  Two, the girls at our church who have allowed me to be a part of their lives.  So my other reason for wanting to do an Ironman is to give hope to other moms who may feel like I have.  Try something different, challenge yourself.  Be your own inspiration.  Are you healthy?  Have you gotten lazy?  Do you spend most of your days in your pajamas and sweats?  Get up and get going.  If I can do something, so can you!

I love my kids, no matter how you may have misunderstood that previous paragraph.  My life revolves around them!  I couldn't imagine our family without a single one of them.  Along with thinking of my brothers, I will think of my children throughout my 140.6 miles on race day!  I want to show them that when you set your mind on something that seems crazy, and big, and you don't know how it's going to happen, that it's possible!  I want to show them that just because I am 36 years old I haven't stopped living and I sure haven't given up!  I want them to invite me to know their current and future dreams and know I will support them!   

I want there to be more female triathletes!  I have been able to make many tri-friends in the past two years and am blessed to be a part of a special group of people who love to tri.  Men outnumber women in races, and especially in triathlons.  If you are ever interested in wanting to do a triathlon and don't know where to start, I would highly recommend Team in Training (teamintraining.org).  They provide the coaching to get you ready and confident for race day, you provide fundraising for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  Totally worth it!  Summer season is beginning soon, too, by the way. 

So, why?  To show my gratitude to God for a healthy body; For my brothers; To inspire other moms and women; For my amazing children. That is why I want to be an Ironman.

1 comment:

  1. We have visited this amazing young women over a couple nights. One morning she got up and ran 20 miles before coming back to serve us breakfast. Iron Woman indeed! She already is one!

    ReplyDelete