Monday, December 5, 2011

What in the world...

Now that I am sitting here and spent the time setting up a blog I am so very terrified at the vulnerability of what this entails.  Of the foremost on my mind, who would ever even want to read it?  My mom would.  So would my dad.  And most likely my husband and my brother will. It's mostly to record the coming year of 2012 and my endeavor to complete an Ironman Triathlon as a type of journal for myself, my children, those who are supporting me and any past, present, or future mother-athletes out there.

When I did a triathlon with Team in Training in 2009, we were given our own website to assist the fundraising process.  I found that I really enjoyed letting my financial and emotional supporters know how I was progressing to my goals.   They enjoyed knowing I was trying my best and learning a lot spiritually and physically along the way.

I hope to reveal experiences that I have had to get to where I am today.  We are all on a journey through life.  Sometimes it takes others doing things we never thought possible in order to try something new ourselves.  That is what is meant by "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17)  Funny enough, when you cross the finish line of an Ironman race, you are met with the statement,"Congratulations, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!"  I want to be an Ironman.  Or Ironwoman, whatever.  Not just to finish a race of 140.6 miles of swimming, cycling and running under 17 hours, but as my God would define me as such.  To live a life worthy of the Call, being saved by His Grace, gifted through his Holy Spirit.  An Ironman and the race of life..the two are so intertwined, it is one of the main reasons I love it so much.

In case you're wondering about the blog address (To be an Ironbird), this is what it means.  My training buddy, Patrick, and I are alumni of Fresno Pacific University where the mascot is a Sunbird.  We are very proud to be Sunbirds!  We'll give you a fierce "Tweet!" anytime.  We are also trying to earn the title of "Ironman".  So, we had the brilliant idea of merging the two things into "Ironbird"!  He's even willing to sport blue and orange spandex on race day in honor of Fresno Pacific.  Once a Sunbird, always a Sunbird.  That's how we see it, anyway.

I have so much I want to say about so many things.  But the kids are home from school and I have to help with homework.  Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. Why am I beginning to hear the music from "Chariots of Fire?" You go girl! And feel His pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, there are others besides your family and fellow mother-athletes who are behind you! I am very happy to call you friend, and am so jealous of your journey to your very first ironman. If I could be there to cheer you on at the finish line, I would.
    I don't envy the road that lies before you. Much training to come, and with training comes pain. Steve Prefontaine said: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." He was known for saying that the best runners are those who can endure the most pain. A friend of mine often says: "if you want the rainbow you gotta put up with the rain." And there will be rain, literally and metaphorically, along your journey.
    But those things will not be what defines your journey! Keep the posts coming. I look forward to cheering you on all the way from Canada. GO KERRY SUE GO!!!

    ReplyDelete