Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hungry for Hotcakes (Recipes!)

Going into this little adventure I really thought I would be foraging for food all the time- an insatiable appetite due to the many hours and calories burned while training.  Well, fortunately for my waist line that has not been the case.  My appetite has worn away, leaving a "blah" state most of time, with only periodic moments of sanity-losing states of hunger.  The only thing that really sounds good?  Pancakes...of many varieties.  I could eat them all day, every day!

I thought I would share with you the recipes of a few of my favorites:

#1  Brown Sugar Oatmeal (aka The Race Day Pancake)
My mom would make these for breakfast every time I was going to have a race later that day when I was in high school.  She said they would "really stick to your ribs".  Turns out oatmeal is one of the super foods for endurance athletes!  She will still make them for me when I go and visit.  My kids are now big fans as well!

1 egg, beaten
2 T. vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats (I always use old fashioned)

Mix egg, oil and buttermilk together, add dry ingredients and mix together just until blended.  If using old fashioned oats, I suggest letting the mixture sit for about 5 minutes to soften the oats.  Spoon onto hot, greased griddle and spread out batter.  Turn when bubbly.  Watch carefully, the brown sugar will scorch if you leave them too long. 
Yield:  About 10 if you use a 1/3 cup to spoon the batter.  I end up tripling the recipe for my family of 7 ferocious pancake eaters, so adjust accordingly.  :)

#2  Favorite Buttermilk Pancakes
I inherited this recipe when my Grandma Jo went to live in a retirement community.  She had cut it off of a buttermilk carton and had it in her collection.  She got my mom hooked on buttermilk, and my mom passed the craze on to me.  I like buttermilk in as many baked goods as it will go in.  There's just something magically delicious about it!  I have had this recipe memorized for years now, it's easy to remember ones and twos!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 T. melted butter

Mix dry ingredients together.  Beat eggs and buttermilk together.  Stir into dry ingredients.  Add butter.  Beat until smooth.  Drop from spoon on hot, greased griddle.  Bake on one side about 2 minutes.  Turn and bake about 2 minutes longer.
Yield:  About 16 4-inch pancakes.  I usually "only" one and a half the recipe for my family. 

#3  Heavenly Hots (From The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham)
Only one of my children do not "care" for these- but boy, oh boy, the rest eat them up faster than I can make them.  These are scrumptious little hots!  They are so light and fluffy they need to be eaten immediately!  I get the 3 lb. tub of sour cream from Costco when I am planning on making these.  Totally worth it!

4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup flour (yes, you're reading that right!  Only a fourth of a cup!)
2 cups sour cream
3 tablespoons sugar

Put all ingredients in a blender and mix well.  Pour onto a hot, greased griddle; can be dollar-size or bigger.  Cook until you see bubbles, then turn over and cook briefly.
Yield:  About 50 dollar-size; which may sound like a lot but it's not when you see how small a dollar-size is, and find out that one person will eat about 15 of these little goodies.  They are that light- they practically melt in your mouth!  I have to triple this one for my fam, so I make them a little bigger or various sizes to shake things up, and so I won't be standing over a hot griddle all morning (or whatever time of day!).

Enjoy!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment