Sunday, April 15, 2012

Week in Review 4/8 - 4/14

A week of recovery and of training not going as planned!

Sunday- Complete day off.  Plus, it was Easter!  Spent time with the family in the mountains, had a great time.  I will admit, that the drive there is part of a regular route I take on rides.  There was a part of me that really wanted to be on my bike and have my family pick me up along the way.  But yesterday was a long ride, tomorrow is mile repeats, and I need to hang out with my family.

Monday-
Run:
3 x 1600m: If you've missed it before, Pat and I really want to run a sub-6 minute mile at some point in training.  We figured the best time to do that would be on mile repeat work-outs.  So, here we go again.  My legs were heavy from the long run and ride from the Friday/Saturday before.  Pat blazed a fast 5:46 mile!  I couldn't keep up; in fact, I dropped out of the third lap.  The second and third miles were 6:18 and 6:35, respectively.  I gave all my legs had to give.  That's got to count for something!

Swim:
I missed the work-out from the coach, so I was stuck with making up my own.  Since it had been a couple of weeks from my last swim, I just spent awhile reacquainting myself with technique.  Then I just kind of went through the motions for the rest.
warm-up: 350m of swimming, 50m of kicking
Main set: 12 x 75m building; 5 x 100m
Cool down: 200m

Tuesday-  I had chores to do around the house, so I only had time for a short ride.  22 miles.  I really wanted to do some cross training, but never had the chance with taking care of the responsibilities associated with the role of MOM.

Wednesday-
Run: Again, chores took time away from training.  But, I am trying to keep the Main Thing (People: my husband, kids, friends, family) the Main Thing (Read: Priority).  Did a quick, comfortable 4.5 miles; was supposed to do an easy, relaxed 6 miles.

Skipping swim to be home in the evening with the family.  I rented "The Iron Lady" for Ken and I to watch after the kids went to bed.  It was very good!

Thursday-  Rode to my friend's house again, but then it started raining right before I needed to leave.  She offered to drive me back, which would also give us more time to visit and chat.  10 miles.

I was hoping to get to swim at the lake with the TNT group, but was on the surfboard stroking near them instead.  It was their first time ever to do an open water swim, and it was important for me to make sure no one drowned.

Friday-  Finally got one day right.  Pat and I ran the required 10 miles in the morning, while it rained heavily on us the entire time.  My shoes are still wet two days later!

Saturday-  It was training day for the TNT group, which meant a trip to Bass Lake to ride the bike course and run the run course they will be doing for the Bass Lake Triathlon in June.  When we got there we right away noticed the snow on the ground, and the chill in the air!  We decided to run one loop (3.1 miles) first, then do the ride.  While we were waiting to begin the ride, one of the coaches had us do the hill leading out/back from the course a couple of times.  On the second go, one of the teammates crashed into the building that was at the bottom of the hill.  I am glad to report that she is now ok, though she did spend the afternoon at the hospital to make sure of it.  We were all shaken up pretty bad from it.  Nothing like seeing someone crumpled on the ground crying, with blood coming out of their mouth to make you strongly question what the heck you're doing!

A few of us ran the loop one more time, then drove back home, calling it a day.

I really, really wanted to go for a long ride after that, but the morning was used up, and the mood at my house reminded me of the Main Thing and I stayed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment