Monday, May 7, 2012

Week in Review 4/29 - 5/5

Last week of cranking out the miles before a slight taper to the Classic Challenge weekend May 19th & 20th. 

Sunday-  No miles, nothing, nada.  Had a picnic with friends after church, then came home. Lovely!

Monday-
Run:  2 x 3200m (2 miles) with 400m (1/4 mile) rest between.  Usually we would do intervals on the track.  Since they were two miles long each, we decided to hit the open road.  I doubted my lap counting abilities, so Pat obliged.  Maybe he was worried about counting too.

Swim: 12 x 150m- Odds build, Evens fast.  The time of year has finally come...I heard rumors it was going to happen...The pool lanes changed from being 25m long (the width of the pool) to 50m long (the length of the pool).  It was lovely!  I wasn't as fast as I would have liked, but did each set strong and steady.  I am such a fan of breathing, however, that it tends to slow me down.  Oh well.  Better to be breathing and on the top of the pool, than not breathing and sink to the bottom!

Tuesday-
The Watts Valley Regular ride- 32 miles.  For some reason I felt compelled to try and beat my best time; I had a head wind the last 5 miles, but rode steady up the hills.  I managed to improve my time by over a minute on the course.  Not every training is about speed; just today. :)

Wednesday-
Easy 4 mile run.  My legs were tired!  I was subscribing to the coach who wrote the training plan we're following: "Rest with as much intensity as you train."  Ok, got it, coach!

Thursday-
Run: 13 miles @ 8:20/mile average.  Our best average pace to date! 
And here is what I was doing when I got home:
Frozen peas...not just for the convenient side dish!  Oh no, it is the most perfect ice pack, too!
Swim:  Open water swim at the lake; just under 1 mile. 
*Lesson Learned:  Make sure the wetsuit is zipped up all the way.  Water was slushing through the whole way!  I was afraid it had ripped or something, so I mentioned about the water coming in during the swim to a few from the team once I got to shore.  One said, "You're wetsuit isn't zipped up all the way.  I noticed it before we started, but thought you wanted it like that." I made sure they knew they had permission to mention it to me next time.

Friday-  I accidentally took it off.  Ok, wait- let me explain.  I totally spaced that I was supposed to run with my friend Jodi early in the morning.  She sent me a text asking where I was at 5:38am, and I told her bed.  Whoops!  So sorry, Jodi!!!  I thought I would be able to ride on the trainer a little bit in the afternoon, but my daughter's track meet went a couple hours over, and we had company coming over for dinner.  Whoops again!  But really it didn't bother me, because I knew what I was going to be doing the next day...

Saturday-
The big ride day!  Pat, James and I rode a route that ended up being 73 miles total.  It felt great!  We climbed over 3000 ft. total, including a hill that is affectionately called "Wildcat".  It was pretty wild; I was following James and noticed Pat was way behind.  So when we reached the top we took the opportunity and waited for him!  I got a little dizzy, but had some Chomps, drank, and we were back at it.  James reminded me I should be fueling every 45 minutes, not the hour I was going to do.  I never felt like I was going to "bonk", but I do need to get my cleats on my shoes corrected.  My toes start tingling and cramping after 30 miles. 

We took a break in the town of Prather (38 miles), buying more water and Gatorade to refill our bottles.  That gave my toes a chance to recover too, which was nice!  We headed home, with almost no more hills in our path.  A lot of downhill and flats, and the satisfaction that we will not only survive the century ride in a couple of weeks, but might just surprise ourselves, too!

Ironbird Ride by kerrysue75 at Garmin Connect - Details

1 comment:

  1. You are sounding way more prepared than me : ) Way to go IronKerry Sue!

    ReplyDelete